Saturday, July 22, 2006

The top of the world ...

To have been in the Himalayan mountains (or a close relative of it - the Tien Shan mountain range ) in Krygyzstan is the most inspiring experience I have had in a long time.

The drive from Lake Isyk Kool up to the Kumtor Goldmine in the mountain range is the most amazing experience. To Reach a tundra at about 10,000 feet and then drive for almost a half hour along flat grassy plains with snow capped peaks all around you is to stare in wonder and amazement at God's creation. Then, to finally reach the minesite and actually see a real glacier right alongside the open cut mine pit is even more amazing. I stood on the roof of the mine office with my new JVC 30GB HDD video camera and rotated around slowly with the scenery filling the lense.

I marvelled at how our wonderful creator God could make a human body that can so quickly adapt to breathing air that only contains 40% of the normal level of oxygen. The secret of breathing three quick deep breathes regularly was one I learnt quickly, otherwise you become very ill. I was able to maintain my blood oxygen levels at around 96% to 98% during the day, which impressed the mine clinic doctors greatly.

It made me realise how complete was my healing from the Aspigillus lung infection that nearly killed me when I was about 21 years old. For years after that I learned to live with the severe lung tissue scarring that plagued my health for years. The outcome of that was that I learned to breathe deep and long as my lungs were incapable of absorbing normal levels of oxygen for my blood. Several years ago the regular x-rays I had as part of my medical check-ups started to reveal absolutely no scarring evident - and my health has been almost perfect the past 5 or 6 years, since I started claimed God's healing over my whole body.

The lung infection that nearly killed me 27 years ago taught me how to cope with high altitude - further proof that God takes every bad thing that has ever happened in our lives, and turns it for our benefit, and for His glory. I was able to tell several people about how my lungs had been completely healed, and how a miracle had happened in my life.

And just today (here in Perth at work) God revealed why I met a young Kyrgyz man named Andre whilst in Bishkek. He had breiefly shared with me about his wife and new child who had just been christened in the Orthodox Church, and I knew in my spirit that God had a purpose in all of this, but I believe He revealed the full purpose today. Brett, who travelled to Kyrgyzstan with me, left 3 days after me to return to Perth, and he had a chance to speak further with Andre after my departure. It turns out that Andre's oldest daughter (who is about 3) has Spina Bifida or some similar disease, and is only expected to live for another 5 years or so. I now know why God is going to send us back to do further work for this company - so that I can witness to Andre, and to lay hands on her and pray for his daughters healing.

God ALWAYS has a higher purpose ... sometimes we just need to wait upon Him to reveal it.

If you are able, would you join with me in praying for Andre's daughter that God would miraculously heal her, and reveal himself in all of His glory to Andre and his wife.

Whilst I was not particularly looking forward to returning to Kyrgyz because it is so demanding physically and mentally, I now know that God has a purpose in sending us back ... not just to do business of an earthly nature, but of a Heavenly nature.

Praise God, for He is good.

Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Far out! It helps to remember that God does have a higher purpose. It's very hard to understand it at times, but without it life would be awful, if not impossible.

Thanks for dropping by 'foreign devil' the other day, I didn't know that you hung out on the other side of the Himalayas.