Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Random thoughts ...

I'm currently reading "Beyond Jabez - Expanding your borders" by Bruce Wilkinson.

I read the first book and the study/prayer guides about three or four years ago. I remember being so excited by all of the things that I learnt from reading that original book, that I bought three copies to give to my brothers and sister for Christmas presents. I guess I figured that if God could change my life so much with that llittle book, then maybe my family would want to read it too. We had all been bought up in the same "poverty doctrine" church after all.

I remember going to a music practice at a church we were attending about that time in our lives, and somehow getting into the middle of a discussion on the Prayer of Jabez. The keyboards player was quite strongly opinionated about the whole prosperity doctrine / Prayer of Jabez thingy, and I recall him asking/stating the question - "who other than Bruce Wilkinson has benefited from the Prayer of Jabez booklet" to which I promptly replied "just about everyone who has read it!" Turns out (as is usually the case) that he had never read the book, and he had already formed his opinions on why the book was written. (This was in a charismatic church by the way.)

Several years down the track and I still see God answering that prayer every time I pray it. And by the way, I am anti "prosperity doctrine" as the world knows it. So where does the misunderstanding creep into the church.

I have heard countless sermons stating that when God says He is going to prosper us, it DOESN"T mean financially. Give me a break !!! Read about Job, Abraham, and Joseph just to name a few people who God prospered financially because they did what was right in His sight, and obeyed Him.

Weigh this up against the blatant tele-evangelism fund raising that goes on in the USA. You don't have to read many blogs to work out that many Australians include Hillsong and Riverview in the same bunch. This is - I believe - the reason why so many people have chosen to live under an ungodly "poverty doctrine" - out of protest because it is so repulsive to cheapen the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a mathematical equation. ** Give x GOD = more **

The refreshing thing about praying the prayer of Jabez, is that when we ask God to bless us, we don't ask for a specific blessing - God gets to choose what He wants to pour into our lives each day. In other words - we actually let God be God - what a scary thought!

When we ask Him to expand our borders - well watch out - because you've just become a missionary with no limitations. Be assured - God WILL take you at your word.

"Let your hand (favour) be with me" - why wouldn't God answer this prayer? Did God not promise to give favour to those who honour and obey Him?

Asking Him to deliver us from evil (harm) - hmmm - seem to remember Jesus saying something about this.

Asking Him to keep us from causing ourselves pain - not a bad idea however you look at it.

As disgusted as I am with the ungodly "prosperity doctrine", I refuse to live anymore under the ungodly "poverty doctrine". A balanced perspective is what God wants for every aspect of our lives. God has proven to me over and over again that He is the God of multiplication. Whatever it is that we give back to God, He takes it and multiplies it for His Glory, His Kingdom and His fame. Our lives become a testimony to His greatness.

Garth over at "Emerging Blurb" has some interesting thoughts on the same subject - well worth the read.

Here is the link ...
http://emergingblurb.blogspot.com/2005/08/emergent-church-video.html

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Stay focussed on God - the person - not the benefit.

Statistics show that if every Christian tithed as commanded by God's word, the "Church" would have an abundance of funds to wipe out poverty, provide clean drinking water, and evangelise the whole world as we know it today. Food for thought isn't it?

In His abundance for every good work,
Steve

"The Lord's blessing is our greatest treasure - all our work adds nothing to it." Proverbs 10:22

No comments: