Sunday, September 26, 2004

Thank God it's Sunday ...

I love reading the Psalms! I was reading Psalms today during the message - you know how sometimes when the speaker is not saying anything that speaks directly to you how your mind can wander - I prefer to read my Bible and let God speak to me from His word.

The verses that jumped out and grabbed me this morning was Psalm 78:15-16 which says "He split the rocks in the wilderness, And gave them drink in abundance like the depths. He also brought streams out of the rock, And caused waters to run down like rivers".

The Psalmist is writing about the nation of Israel wandering around in the desert after God had used Moses to set them free from bondage in Egypt. IN SPITE OF ALL THAT HE HAD DONE FOR THEM, they still grumbled and complained. It says in Psalm 78 that they ate the "food of angels" - manna. But they wanted meat and bread. How sad that they hadn't learnt the secret of being thankful for all that God had done for them. It cost them dearly - God's anger was fuelled against them, and they paid for their sin. Some of us "pay" for our sins of disbelief and unthankfulness in this life also.

As John Piper said, "God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied by Him".

Whats the big deal? He has proven to Karen and me many times over that when we are satisfied and thankful for all He has done for us, and for all that He has given us, He will open the floodgates of heaven and pour out a blessing such as can't be contained. And it causes us to cry out in shouts of praise to our wonderful King.

Have you thanked Him for today yet? If not, why not do it now. There's no better time! This day may have started out as the crappiest day in history for you, but it can (and should - if you believe what you read in God's word) end the way God planned it and purposed it for you. I had to remind myself of that fact three years ago when a split second water skiing accident changed my life forever. From perfectly healthy to invalid in a matter of seconds. I know for a fact that I swore at the excruciating pain, and my life was gripped with fear. Floating there in the ocean with my leg feeling as though it had been ripped off - it was hard to believe Jeremiah 29:11 applied to me right there and then. But the reality was - and still is - that nothing can separate us from the love and perfect purposes of our Lord and King. Nothing re-writes scriptures that were divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit, and nothing can rob God of His power - not even all the hordes of hell. He is sovereign, and always will be sovereign. Nothing will ever change that. Hallelujah!!!

"He split the rocks in the wilderness, And gave them drink in abundance like the depths. He also brought streams out of the rock, And caused waters to run down like rivers". Wow ... what can I say, except that we serve an awesome and mighty God - if he can cause rivers to run in dry deserts! And this is exactly what He did in my life. He caused a river of life to start flowing in my dry desert like life. There is not a single day that has passed when he has not provided for me, and protected me. Maybe in another post I can share how He healed my shattered knee on a missions trip to Laos.

"Know that the Lord is good, and His mercies endure forever". BE ENCOURAGED.

No comments: